So, you’ve got your new Peloton shoes and have done a rigorous cycling regime. Now you want to get off.
But do you know how to take the Peloton shoes off the Peloton pedals? For beginners, this can be a daunting task and most often get stuck while getting off the bike.
So, How to Unclip Peloton Shoes From Bike Pedals?
To Unclip Peloton Shoes, First, you need to bring the cycle to a complete stop and then move the pedal downwards. Now move the front part of your foot away from the bike’s direction and this should unclip the shoe from the pedal.
The first step in unclipping the Peloton shoes is to stop the Peloton bike.
How to stop peddling on the Peloton bike?
To stop the pedals, the simplest way is slowly reduce the pressure you put on the pedals. This is similar to how you want to stop peddling in a normal cycle.
However, if you want instantaneous results or need to stop in an emergency then you need to push down on the orange resistance knob that is present on the Peloton bike and Peloton bike+.
Here are the next steps in removing the shoes from the Peloton bike pedals.
Position the pedals – to remove the shoes from the Pedals, stop cycling and bring either of the pedals close to the ground. Make sure that the resistance knob is pressed down so that you don’t accidentally pedal again.
Unclipping – Once the pedals are in position, firmly press your feet again them and turn the front portion of your feet away from the bike.
This would almost be a 90-degree move. If it is your right foot that is down, then move the front of your feet towards the right to unclip. Once this is done, bring the left pedal down and then move your feet towards the left, away from the bike.
This is the simplest way to unclip the Peloton shoes from the pedal and most of the time this is going to work unless your cleats are stuck!
Why are the Peloton shoes stuck to the Pedal?
In some cases, you might not be able to unclip the Peloton shoes from the pedals using the method we discussed above and this can be due to
- improper fitting of the cleats
- incorrect technique to remove shoes from pedals
How to unclip peloton shoes stuck to the pedal?
If your shoes are stuck to the pedal, then the first thing you need to do is to take out your feet from the shoes and get down from the bike. Now move the pedal up, as high as possible, and then turn it down so that your shoes are facing down.
This way you will be able to see the bottom portion of the pedals, where your shoes are fixed.
- Once you flip over the pedal, you will see a screw or bolt that has a hex hole
- Using the Alan key that came with the key, move the screw in a counterclockwise direction
- This will loosen the tension and you should be able to get your shoe out
- There is also a spring that holds the cleat in place. With an Alan key, you can wiggle the spring a little bit and the cleat with come out. This is applicable for only those Peloton bike models that use the spring system
If you made a mistake in unclipping or still don’t know how to properly do it, then watch the above video as it will definitely help you out.
How to properly clip Peloton shoes to the bike Pedal?
To clip the Peloton shoes properly, you will need to position yourself correctly, fit the cleats in the right position and tighten the screws if required. Here are the detailed steps on how to do it.
- You will first need to stand on top of the bike without sitting on it
- If you are right footed, bring the right pedal to the bottom most position and then place your Peloton shoes on it
- The position of the cleats on your shoes needs to be aligned with the clips on the Peloton Pedal
- Once you are in the right position, press down hard and you should hear a click sound if the fitting is done correctly
- Now repeat the process for the other foot as well
- Start pedaling slowly and move your feet around a little bit to check if the shoe fits properly or not
Over a period of time, the screws on the cleats can become loose and this can cause improper fitting.
So, from time to time you will need to tighten the screws with the hex key that was provided with the Peloton bike.
Watch the above video to see how you can properly clip the Peloton shoes on to the Peloton pedals.
In case you need more instructions, here is how you can tighten the cleats.
How to tighten Peloton cleats?
To tighten the Peloton cleats, you will need to use a hex key that came with the bike and adjust the alignment and fitting of the shoes. Here are the steps to do it.
- Under the Peloton shoe, you will see three screw holes and on the Peloton you will see three screws that will fit into the holes
- You can tighten these screws with an Alan wrench. The one that comes with the bike has a short handle and if you are not comfortable with it, try to find an Alan key with a longer handle
- Tighten the screws as per your convenience. However, do not tighten them too much or leave them too loose as this might damage the pedals
You can watch the above video by Peloton that demonstrates how you can tighten the Peloton cleats.
A simple task like clipping out of the Peloton shoe looks easy to do but at time Peloton users face problems doing so.
Lack of pedal/shoe maintenance and improper clipping will result in the shoes getting stuck to the pedal.
And the best way to avoid this is by learning the proper mounting or clipping technique as demonstrated in the videos in this article.
Hopefully, this article has been able to help you out in case you were stuck on the Peloton pedal. If you are a Peloton newbie, then there is no need to panic and using force to remove the shoes.
Follow the steps in our article and you will be able to wedge the shoes out from the Peloton pedal.